Trade and Sustainable Development
For more information about CIEL's Trade & Sustainable Development Program, contact Baskut Tuncak.
Environment and Trade: A Guide to WTO Jurisprudence (December 2005) is a new publication authored by CIEL lawyers, and published by Earthscan Publications Ltd.
This book is a comprehensive guide to environment and trade jurisprudence, providing
thorough coverage of WTO rulings and impacts.
More specifically, the guide examines the significant impacts that international trade rules have on environmental law and policy at the domestic, regional and global levels, analyzing how environment-related questions have been treated under the WTO dispute settlement tribunals. The guide examines questions, including: Can WTO Members countries treat products differently based on environmental considerations, such as how they were produced? Does the WTO allow its Members to block the import of products a Member considers dangerous for health and the environment? These and many questions are looked at on the basis of concrete cases brought to WTO dispute settlement.
A 2mb pdf version of this publication is also available.
To receive CIEL's monthy newletter, click here.
Latest Trade & Sustainable Development Program News
- Public interest groups support the opinion to exclude chemicals from the scope of the proposed Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Agreement
- Statement by CIEL President & CEO Carroll Muffett on the blocked “Fast Track” Trade Promotion Authority Bill
- TTIP leak: EU proposal undermines democratic values
- Fast tracked trade deals rush us toward a toxic partnership
- Tell negotiators: Don't undermine progress on toxic chemicals!