Trade and Sustainable Development
For more information about CIEL's Trade & Sustainable Development Program, contact Baskut Tuncak.
CIEL Comments on the Draft Plan of Implementation for the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa
25 August to 4 September 2002
The last formal preparatory negotiations (PrepCom 4) before the World
Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg broke up in Bali in
mid-June, leaving a host of issues unresolved. As a consequence, essential
elements (about 25%) of the Draft Plan of Implementation (formerly the
"Chairman's Text"), are subject to further negotiation. Contentious
- Time-bound targets, such as reducing the number of people without
access to sanitation by half by 2015 or a review by 2007 of progress
in developed countries on phasing out energy subsidies, as well as the
target to restore depleted fish stocks by 2015;
- Human Rights;
- Replenishment of the Global Environment Facility (GEF);
- Chapter IX on the means of implementation covering finance and trade
- Chapter X on the institutional framework for sustainable development.
CIEL has prepared comments on trade related issues on the WSSD Draft Plan of Implementation.
Also available is the Draft Plan for Implementation for the World Summit on Sustainable Development, advanced draft version, released by the Commission on Sustainable Development acting as the prepatory committee for the World Summit on Sustainable Development.
To receive CIEL's monthy newletter, click here.
Latest Trade & Sustainable Development Program News
- U.S. Court of Appeals Rules in Government Secrecy Case
- U.S. Court of Appeals Hears Government Secrecy Case: U.S. trade agency continued secrecy denies public access to document related to protection of environment and public health
- CIEL advocates for transparency in investment arbitration at UNCITRAL negotiations
- CIEL Spearheads Efforts for Transparency in UN Arbitration Body