Trade and Sustainable Development
For more information about CIEL's Trade & Sustainable Development Program, contact Baskut Tuncak.
Peoples World Water Forum March 21 and 22, 2003, Florence, Italy
While governments and the private sector from all over the world convened at the Third World Water Forum in Japan from 16 to 23 March, 2003, a number of civil society organizations, including CIEL, participated in parallel events in order to propose alternatives and recommendations to the trends to liberalize and privatize water services. The largest of these meetings, the PeoplesWorld Water Forum, was organized by the Europe Social Forum in partnership with a number of international organizations in Florence, Italy, on March 21st and 22nd.
For information about the Third World Water Forum please see: http://www.world.water-forum3.com/
More information on the Peoples World Water Forum can be found at: http://www.cipsi.it/contrattoacqua/forum-acqua/en/index.htm
For information about an alternative World Water Vision ("WATER IS LIFE - A Civil Society World Water Vision for Action"), to which CIEL has signed on, please see:http://www.blueplanetproject.net/
An article by BBC News entitled Alternative Water Future Outlined discusses the proposal of water as a common good under an international legal framework.
At the event, CIEL submitted the brief Water
Traded (a draft version in PDF format), regarding the privatization
of water services. This brief analyses interactions between the international
financial institutions, international trade agreements, and the provision
of water services. In particular, it considers the ways in which these
international bodies and agreements can affect the capacity of national
governments to provide water services, especially to those most in need.
CIEL staff presented GATS and Water, a discussion paper at a workshop on Trade and Water on 3 March 2003 in Geneva.
To receive CIEL's monthy newletter, click here.
Latest Trade & Sustainable Development Program News
- Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership negotiations underway
- CIEL publishes the first edition of Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) Monitor
- CIEL Statement before the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance, hearing on the "Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership: Achieving the Potential"
- Fracking Dispute Under NAFTA Highlights Potential Pitfalls of EU-U.S. Trade Agreement
- CIEL to Testify Before US House Committee on Energy & Commerce on Health and Environmental Risks of US-EU Free Trade Agreement